Saturday, December 19, 2009

Welcome to Pox Land

One of our favourite shows on ABC Kids is Charlie and Lola - and one of our favourite episodes is called something like Welcome to Lolaland. Right now it feels like chicken pox land at our place. Currently E has chicken pox, hot on the heels of J. We are just waiting for M to get it now, right in time for Christmas. E has is quite a lot worse than J, and is very itchy, but even more upset about all the fun events that she is missing. Just in the last 2 days she's missed the Kids Christmas Workshop, a birthday party and a special dinner with school friends, although an impromptu dinner worked out in its stead.

Anyhow, amidst the pox and the sadness, I had a thought the other day that I really would like to meet someone with a baby L's age with Down Syndrome. I've met a few other kids who are a bit older, but feel like I'd like to know someone the same age who I can track along together with. It's just different having a peer, rather than someone who is significantly ahead or behind isn't it? I have felt lots of times in my life that there's noone else I knew who was in exactly the same spot as me - and that's ok - but it can be isolating and lonely. So I thought that this time I'd be a bit proactive and contact DSNSW and ask if there were any other babies around the same age as L. Judy from DSNSW got back to me with a few names, and I emailed one of the mums yesterday. She replied today, and she's keen to meet us which is lovely. Hopefully we'll be able to sort something out for the new year and get to meet each other's families. Maybe I could even visit her playgroup or something..... one step at a time hey!

No comments:

Post a Comment